I’m a pho-king pho ho. I love it. I crave it most days if not everyday. I sometimes dream about it. The only problem; its been damn near impossible to find vegan versions. I have dabbled in making my own pho broth b/c the broth is what its all about, but I haven’t had the time to perfect that yet. Solution: scouring my local asian market!
1. Get the goods: Vegan pho broth cubes + vegan king prawn shrimps + rice noodles + shiitake mushrooms + plentiful fresh add ins (bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, fried garlic, green onions..) + Sriracha sauce
3. Soak the rice noodles in warm to hot water for at least an hour and then boil them for an extra 3-4 minutes until you have the desired consistency. Some people like their noods a little on the chewy side. Cut up shiitake mushrooms while preparing noodles.
4. Drain noodles and set aside. Prepare broth according to directions (or make your own…my current rendition involves mostly veggie broth with some Chinese 5 spice thrown in) . Bring broth to boil and throw in vegan king prawn and mushrooms (or whatever you want heated and cooked through!). Make as much broth as you want to drown your noodles in.
5. Serve: Get some noodles in a bowl, ladle the awesome broth over it and then add in a bunch of fresh basil, cilantro, green onions, fried garlic pieces and bean sprouts. Squeeze some fresh lime and Sriracha sauce into the mix to taste.
6. Use chopsticks so you can feel authentic and slurp up all the pho-king goodness.