Every summer, I am inspired to get pumped at the gym. Perhaps it’s because I have more time on my hands or perhaps it has something to do with wearing a swimsuit. Who really knows.
I’ve started this program focusing on the exercise part and improvising on the diet section because its far from vegan friendly. I’m not concerned with losing weight, just building muscle and I get the gist of what I need to eat for this…loads of protein with some complex carbs and loads of veggies. Veganbodybuilding is a great resource for sample nutrition programs that support building muscle.
I find to get enough protein to support my training I have to incorporate some processed protein dense foods. Here are two EASY protein-rich meals that I have been enjoying as of late.
Roasted brussels sprouts and tempeh bacon
- Roast halved brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes
- Add chopped homemade tempeh bacon (a whole pack is about 40 grams of protein). This makes two servings.
- Tempeh bacon recipes I’ve used for this are from Healthy, Happy, Life and from Vegan with a Vengeance.
Good ol’ fashioned chili
- Sautee a chopped onion and a chopped bell pepper until the onions sweat.
- Add about a pack of crumbles (about 72 grams of protein) and brown.
- Dump in a large can of diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans and a bunch of seasoning: cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and simmer.
- Top it with fresh cilantro.
- This makes a lot! I eat it on its own or with a sweet potato or some Ezekiel bread. In this pic I am having it with polenta fries that I got from the lovely Epicurean Vegan, though I only used olive oil b/c I didn’t have truffle oil and I added some garlic powder….it came out delicious and is my new favorite “french fry”.
I’m also downing like 2-3 protein shakes a day and eating veggies and fruit and I’m working on a protein muffin recipe. First attempt = muffin mush. If you never hear me mention this recipe attempt again, that means it went away and died.